Monday, August 10, 2009

Tips n Tricks: Moving TFS to another server and getting Error 3154: The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing database

Another issue that I ran across today when trying to restore our TFS backup onto the freshly installed TFS server what the fact that due to various discrepancies in the environments I ended up getting the following error message when trying to restore my Reporting Services and SharePoint databases:

Error 3154: The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing database

So after banging my head awhile I did a bit of searching and sure enough I stumbled upon the following post that explains how to get around it.

To sum it up it is quick simple you have to switch back to TSQL mode and open up a query window and make sure you are currently in the master database and then issue the following command:

RESTORE DATABASE YourDatabase
FROM DISK = 'C:\YourDatabaseBackup.bak'
WITH REPLACE



That’s all there is to it, so far I’ve only encountered this issue with the Reporting Services and SharePoint databases, never with the TFS databases.

No comments:

Post a Comment