Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sadly no Hyper-V on Vista SP2

I was really happy after reading Mary-Jo Foleys post on Vista SP2: What’s inside? which indicated that Vista SP2 would include Hyper-V support.

Unfourtunately my crappy laptop is only x86 I searched around abit and a found this little tadbit of info at the springboard:

Hyper-V *
Windows Vista SP2 includes Hyper-V™ technology, enabling full virtualization of server workloads

*To clarify, Hyper-V is not included in Windows Vista SP2, it is part of the Windows Server 2008 service pack. This means that when you install SP2 for Windows Server 2008, or if you install a slipstreamed version of Windows Server 2008 with SP2, the RTM version of the Hyper-V role will be included. Hyper-V was released after Windows Server 2008, which means that the role you currently install is a pre-release role and needs to be updated to bring it up to RTM. This update will be applied (only if necessary) automatically when you install SP2.

So I guess no Hyper-V on Vista :( and since there started to popup postings about this I thought I'd just share this before people start formating the hard drives in euphoria (I know I almost did).

No comments:

Post a Comment